I know the monsoon has started, and time has come to crave for Street Foods. Even though i love street food, served hot and spicy... but a BIG NO NO when it comes to oily foods... Once in a while i do enjoy having oily stuff... There will be a list of items mainly non veg dishes when it comes to Malabar, like Kallumakkai porichathu, parippu vada, pazham pori , ullivada.. and goes on.. Today i am sharing one of the famous street food that we get at Calicut beach...spicy Peas Mutta Fry. A very simple recipe with a very few ingredients. Cooked green peas with scrambled eggs sprinkled with pepper powder...and served hot.
- Green Peas / Pachapattani / Mattar - 1 cup (soaked for 6-8 hours)
- Eggs - 4
- Pepper powder - 2 Tsp
- Onion finely chopped - 2 + 1
- Green chilly chopped (round and not fine pieces) - 3
- Ginger finely cut lengthwise - 1" piece
- Carrot roughly chopped - 2 medium
- Tomato finely chopped - 1
- Butter / Coconut Oil/Oil - 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Salt - as needed
- Pressure cook green peas for just one whistle.(Do not cook it mushy). After 1 whistle release the pressure and , open and cook.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add 2 onion s chopped, green chilly and ginger. Saute till onions are soft and pink. (a bit of crunchiness should be there for onions).
- Now add carrot chopped and tomato. Cook it covered.
- Add the cooked green peas with the water. Mix well.Add salt.
- Beat 3 eggs. Lower the flame and add the eggs. Mix properly and scramble the eggs.
- Now you will see the water is fully absorbed. Mix well on high flame for a minute and remove from flame.
- Now add pepper powder and mix well.
- Serve hot with chopped onion and lime wedges. Enjoy!!!!
Sending this entry to Ahlan Ramadan –The Healthy Way